Particulars are under.
• Undertow Podcast 22 on Kill Or Be Killed 17. A brand new episode of The Undertow Podcast was not too long ago launched, with a deal with the latest challenge of Kill Or Be Killed. We coated a number of current information gadgets, particularly the June solicitation for the KOBK finale (which we blogged about final month) and affirmation of the Maniac Cop reboot (coated under).
Robert and I additionally had some very unconventional suggestions. We’ll come again to these on the finish of this publish.
As all the time, The Undertow Podcast is obtainable on iTunes and at Podbean. We GREATLY admire our listeners’ giving us suggestions and letting others know concerning the present.
• Kill Or Be Killed 18 In Shops Immediately. Simply yesterday, Picture Comics up to date its web page for KOBK 18 by including a three-page preview. As proven above, the difficulty’s obvious first web page offers a extra naturalistic reiteration of the hanging cowl artwork, which we now know options the slain physique of the copycat vigilante.
This new challenge is in shops in the present day, and it appears to characteristic the return of Detective Lily Sharpe. We marvel if her investigation of the copycat leads her again to Dylan — that individual of curiosity she noticed at Rex’s funeral — and to his present predicament in a psychological establishment exterior of town.
One factor we do know, from a tweet from Kim Morgan ten days again, is that the bonus essay is on the 1949 movie Too Late For Fears, “certainly one of Lizabeth Scott’s best roles.” The essay features a moody illustration from Jacob Phillips, proven under.
• Sleeper Ebook In Shops Immediately. Serendipitously, KOBK is not the one new e-book from Brubaker and Phillips. From DC Comics, there’s the softcover Sleeper Ebook One, which options what I’d classify because the group’s first main collaboration — and it is their solely collection that has been work-for-hire quite than creator-owned.
Superior solicited again in December, the e-book now includes a “WildStorm Traditional” commerce gown, and whereas the e-book definitely qualifies as a basic for that bigger superhero universe, we additionally discovered it to be a remarkably self-contained story.
The collection has been reprinted a number of instances, together with the prelude story Level Clean, with artwork by Colin Wilson (although utilizing Sean Phillips’ design for the protagonist Holden Carver).
- Initially, the 2003-2005 collection was collected in 4 6-issue commerce paperbacks, with the Level Clean TPB being handled as a separate work.
- In 2009, the collection was collected in two 12-issue TPB’s — Season One and Season Two (for quantity two, points 1-12, with a newly collected Coup D’Etat prologue) — and Level Clean was formally repackaged as a separate prelude story.
- In 2013, every little thing was collected in a single, 720-page hardcover omnibus.
Ebook One collects Level Clean and Season One, and we’re certain that there can be a Ebook Two to finish the collection.
I’d have guessed that this new commerce assortment was a bare-bones mixture of the 2 2009 commerce paperbacks, however I’ve confirmed that features a few further options, together with an previous essay by Brubaker and the whole set of issue-one layouts from Phillips.
Although in some unspecified time in the future even we’re detest to gather each new printing of a Brubaker/Phillips work, we’re blissful to see that the collection stays standard sufficient to justify a brand new printing each half-decade.
Its super-powered trappings maybe make it probably the most accessible Brubaker-Phillips story for followers of the “Huge Two” publishers, and followers of the pair’s newer, creator-owned crime comics ought to positively take a look at Sleeper. I feel it is nonetheless certainly one of their finest works, and I do know readers will not be upset.
• Unique Sleeper print — and Auctioned Unique Paintings! — at OK Comics. It’w price a separate bullet to notice that Leeds’ OK Comics introduced an unique print by Sean Phillips, to accompany their copies of the Sleeper Ebook One softcover. The print is evidently restricted to 50 copies and is signed by the artist.
The on-line pre-order web page hasn’t but been up to date, so it is attainable the e-book and print can nonetheless be ordered on-line.
Even higher, the web page mentions that each order comes with a possibility to put a blind bid for the print’s unique art work from Sean Phillips, signed and framed.
• Maniac Cop Reboot Nonetheless Underway. As we talked about on the podcast, Delivery.Films.Demise. printed a part of a dialog with director John Hyams as regards to the Maniac Cop remake, in response to final 12 months’s feedback from Larry Cohen, the author of the unique cult basic. Together with some _very_ vital feedback concerning the new screenplay by Ed Brubaker, Cohen made clear his perception that the remake was useless, however Hyams flatly contradicted the assertion.
In brief, “it’s going to occur.”
Extra particularly, the remake goes to occur after Hyams’ eight-episode collection in improvement for Netflix and Too Previous To Die Younger, the Amazon collection now in manufacturing from the remake’s author Brubaker and its producer Nicolas Winding Refn.
• On-line Curiosities. Podcast listeners will discover that Robert and I had a number of, considerably uncommon suggestions this month — on-line gems that deserve wider recognition — and I might like to shut this publish with the related hyperlinks.
- Cocaine and Rhinestones is what Robert really helpful, “the podcast concerning the Historical past of Nation Music.” It is concerning the reality “that nation music is wild and it’s superb as a result of the individuals who made it had been wild and so they had been superb.”
- The Auralnauts and their closely remixed Star Wars Saga was my long-form suggestion. Not formally a part of the three-hour playlist is a Youth Biology PSA that includes their alternate-dimension tackle the droids as “mentally unstable sociopaths.”
- A mash-up music video from the mysterious YouTube person Isosine is my short-form suggestion: its brilliance can hardly be described. It is an ideal earworm, and it is nearly not possible to shake it off.
We even have a lot, way more to cowl right here on the weblog, however maybe we’ll get to the opposite gadgets later this week.