As at all times, Robert and I had a blast recording the episode, and listeners can discover the podcast on iTunes and at Podbean.
On the finish of the episode, we each had just a few musical suggestions, with Robert recommending Bruce Springsteen’s understated 1982 album Nebraska as I targeted on The Breeder’s hit album from 1993, Final Splash.
I liked the Final Splash singles after I first heard them in highschool, however I did not “get” the album after I acquired the CD from a used bookstore. I lastly related with the deep cuts — understanding the album as an entire, and falling head over heels — final 12 months, when my high-school reunion prompted a overview of all my outdated music from the 90’s.
I since discovered extra obscure songs on YouTube and tracked down an import copy of the album’s 20th anniversary 3-disc rerelease (“LSXX”), for which the Final Splash lineup reunited in 2013. That lineup has launched a brand new album this month — their first since Final Splash, and the primary for the Kim Deal-led band in ten years — and All Nerve is basically, actually good.
(My favourite observe is one I hope will get some play at baseball stadiums this 12 months, satirically or in any other case: SPACEWOMAN.)
I point out that, like one other upcoming suggestion, The Breeders’ Final Splash-era music rewards listening at a number of ranges: the singles are excellent gems of pop music, the album has an important groove mixing punk and surf music, and the uncommon tracks embrace some nice covers, together with songs from The Who, Aerosmith, and (in a reside model of a observe from their debut Pod) The Beatles.
Just a few B-sides have their English bassist Josephine Wiggs singing lead vocals, and that is nearly the one correct preparation one can have for the All Nerve observe MetaGoth.
And any fan of Final Splash merely should try All Nerve.
For our listeners who will not be all that accustomed to The Breeders, listed below are the music movies from the Final Splash period, together with songs (and variations) that may nonetheless ALL be discovered on LSXX.
- “Cannonball,” their first single from Final Splash and their greatest hit, reaching #2 on Billboard’s Sizzling Fashionable Rock Tracks within the U.S.
- “Divine Hammer,” the one model
- “Saints,” one other single model, launched within the subsequent Head to Toe EP
- “Safari,” the title observe from the Safari EP, launched the 12 months earlier than Final Splash, with a guitar solo by Tanya Donelly, who would quickly lead the band Stomach
- “Shocker in Gloomtown,” additionally from 1994’s Head To Toe, a canopy of a brief, quick music by the obscure however prolific band Guided by Voices, one other band hailing from Dayton, Ohio.
I warn you, these songs have a means of getting caught in a single’s head.